by Fra. Abbadon 111/Fra. GosaA/Sor. Lycantha (1993)
THE PULSE OF GAIA
This exercise is based around four Goddesses - Litha (from Lithosphere - Earth), Hydra (Hydrosphere - Water), Atma (Atmosphere - Air) and Bia (Biosphere - Fire). Diverging from traditional magical ideas of human Goddesses, or the traditonal associations of the elements, we took these four ECOSYSTEMS as entities within the global Ecosystem - GAIA.
- The exercise begins with participants seated. A slow drum-beat begins - This is the Pulse or heartbeat, of Gaia.
- MC calls upon participants to begin the slow dance of Litha - to feel themselves to be mountains, to think of earthquakes, continental drift, the deep movements within the earths crust, the slow movements of rocks.
- Drum rhythmn becomes slightly faster, and focus shifts to that of Hydra - the oceans, seas, droplets of water vapours - from rushing waterfalls to the rolling of surf - the dance becomes more fluid.
- Drum quickens into the airy dance of Atma - the trade winds, breezes, hurricanes, swirling gusts - the atmosphere wrapped around the globe - Chaotic Weather.
- Drum quickens into the life-dance of Bia - the life-forms which teem within the world, all moving to the current of reproduction - sex and death - feeding - insects, plants, animals.
- MC calls out STOP! - FEEL THE PULSE OF GAIA WITHIN AND AROUND YOU. (drum continues). FEEL THE MOVEMENT AND THE POWER - THIS IS NATURES CHAOS ENMESHED IN SYSTEMS OF INTERLOCKING ORDER
TYPE: Octarine/Red - Illumination & Anger.
STATEMENT OF INTENT:
It is Our Will to invoke the Anger of Gaia, to strengthen our purpose and our resolve.
1. Preliminary Exercise - Earth Surge
Participants begin kneeling on the ground. Drum begins slow pulse-beat (Heartbeat of Gaia).
Feel a slow rumbling deep in earth beneath you, at the base of your spine. Feel the slow power of Litha - tectonic plates grinding, the slow drift of continents, the power and presence of the rocks, mountains. Bring back the sensations & images of Litha.
Feel the surging of water, the rolling waves, the deep currents of the Ocean, the tides, and the blood surging around your body. Bring back the feelings of Hydra - the waters of life and death.
- begin to stand up
Feel the rushing of the air, the power of the winds, swirling currents and hurricanes. Bring back the power of Atma as you breathe in and out, feeling the air move through your lungs.
- head back, begin to quicken breathing
Feel the teeming prescence of billions of life-forms - insects, plants, animals - the heat this generates is the heat of your body - in life, in cellular decay, in feeding and dying, in reproducing, in killing. Feel the power and energy of Bia - the totality of all life within GAIA.
- begin to Seethe
Feel the world around you with a billion eyes and antennae, feel the flashes of pain as the earth is ripped open, as schools of fish die in the maw of factory trawlers. All your senses are attuned to what is happening within your body. Cancerous growths eat at your cells. The natural Chaos of Gaia's being is being concreted over - ripped apart and churned into chemical sludge. The poison is in your bones, in your blood, in the air which rushes through you, and it is destroying the careful balance of the teeming life within you.
Images of mass destruction flash into your awareness - pollution, deliberate waste, the plundering of your body for a fast buck. The power within you begins to surge into a raging fury - let a low rumbling sound of anger escape from your mouths....
- begin to hyperventilate - low moaning
Reach outwards into your body - find the small, scurrying beings who are causing you this pain - send your tendrils coursing into their group mind - and there! Some of them want to stop what is happening. They feel for your hurt, but they lack vision - they lack resolve, they lack anger. Show them visions of how they can act, and send your power, your anger into them....
individuals become arm-linked mass
You are yourself, you are the power of Gaia. Nature's Chaos surges through you. Linked to others, you know them as separate entities, linked by common purpose. Focus your mind on what YOU would like to achieve. Feel the power of Gaia surging through you. Images of pollution and the rape of the earth, torture and maiming for profit. Senseless acts everywhere.
Focus your mind on your desire and SCREAM WE ARE NOT TAKING ANY MORE SHIT! *
* - Scream is point when all energy is hurled into desire.
*These rites were 'performed' at a day workshop in Ecomagick presented by Talking Stick magazine at the 121 Centre, Brixton, London, 1993.